September 15, 2006

August and Everything After



“Can an accident of longitude and latitude really decide whether you live or whether you die?” -Bono
This quote has really been on my mind since last week when Pastor Nyathi told us that this little girl, whom we visited, died due to health complications. When we saw her in May she was struggling. This family was literally starving when the church found out about them. Soon after, her little brother and she were left alone after their mother passed away due to AIDS. The church is doing what they can to care for the little guy. This is the church.

It’s been almost 2 months since the last post. Sorry folks, but this summer has been ridiculously busy. We’re burning the candle at both ends… between work, and weddings, it’s been crazy. But as you will read below, some really great stuff is happening. It seems like God is building our team and moving things along.

So what has been going on? We continue pursuing our 501(c)(3) status, which is such a huge deal, as you good folks need your tax deductions. We're being incorporated, having our bylaws written and have our Board of Directors in place! So that's the real hard work getting done around here.


I stayed with my old prayer partner / partner in crime, Gzegorz and his fam.
I had the opportunity to speak at a church retreat just outside of Ottawa in Canada at the end of last month. With six messages in hand, I was ready to bring the fire! After the second talk I lost my voice and submitted to using a mic. I shared about Africa and challenged people to consider being part of our internship program. I really enjoy speaking, and have been encouraged to do more of it. I'm working on my jokes but it's usually a tough crowd out there or are my jokes really that bad? (so if any of you want someone to come to your church, university, small group, whatever, holler my way.) God really challenged me personally as I prepared and shared my small thoughts on His big vision for His Kingdom. I’ve fallen in love afresh with the story of the Good Samaritan. My heart shudders as I hear Christ’s voice say, “Go and do likewise.” This story is being burned on my heart in ways I never thought possible. I challenge you to go and read and meditate on it. Luke 10.
Further thoughts on this are on my
personal blog.

So this is amazing news… we have a couple, whose beautiful wedding Annie and I attended this summer, coming alongside us in serving our partner churches in South Africa (Rach and Annie are actually best friends). Rachael and Gabe Dagani are going to Africa in February for half a year. Gabe will be mainly setting up the computer training classes (he is a computer engineer/teacher) and Rach will be helping do some of the groundwork for the internship program (she is a Mission Year Alum/case worker) as well as working with Evangeline and the other social workers to train care givers and help prepare the church for their soon to be Church Orphan Home. How cool to hear their passion for God and desire to serve the poor. And how awesome is it that they want to give the first fruits of their marriage to God in this way. Please pray for Rach and Gabe as they prepare for Africa 07, coz Africa is not for sissies!
Gabe and Rach met on a plane flight in Europe and this pic is from their stunning wedding this summer.

So what do you know about Africa?

Pastor Vincent praying over a group of school students at an assembly.
We also have an exciting visit from one of our African pastors this month. Pastor Vincent Nyathi is a pastor, preacher, and friend to the poor in Mamelodi, South Africa. He runs a vibrant church (with a really cool name, check it out; “The Power House”). He pastors in a black township set up by the then apartheid government northeast of Pretoria, South Africa. He will be joining us, here in Chicago at the HQ, for a lively evening with a presentation on "AIDS, Faith and Poverty in Africa" followed by a time of Q&A.
So be here! Wednesday 7pm, September 20th 2006. (see main site for more details)

For those of you praying for us and supporting us faithfully, we truly thank the Lord for you. We are so grateful for you being part of this vision and helping build its foundation. It's not easy trying to get a rocket ship off the ground.
I know others of you personally may not be able to give like you may want to, but you are well connected and networked in ways we are not. Be advocates for this vision. Please get passionate with us in caring for orphans and giving people jobs so they can feed their families. We really want people to get involved one way or another. Tell folks about the internship program, donate an old computer, or support us financially. I challenge you to do something! Go to our projects page and see if there is anything in the list that you can help provide for... even here in our Chicago office. We have all sorts of pressing needs, from stamps to a digital projector. Click here to go to the Projects Page

Food for thought from Luke10:29
….But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, "And who is my neighbor?"

Till next time, onward with the Revolution!

No comments: