April 21, 2006

April Update

April started off terribly; I completely forgot about April Fools day! One of my favorite and most anticipated days of the year, and I forgot! But other than that the month has been pretty great.
May Trip
On May 4th I leave for South Africa! I haven’t been home or seen my family there for two and half years! Yes, I’m excited. I will spend a week with them and then I will be joined by the rest of our crew from the US for the real hard work (I mention them in the last update). This month has pretty much been about preparing for the trip, which is coming together speedily… we are doing our homework and am being wowed by the task at hand.

...I think God is up to something bigger than I can imagine. It scares me, humbles me, and sometimes makes me want to run. In fact, this step of faith, to start this ministry of ALD, has been very overwhelming. I wish I could say I boldly march on with this vision, but it’s been more “real life” than that. I doubt the calling, I fear, I get anxious and sometimes feel like maybe it’s not too late to back out, go and make myself a boat-load of money, come back and start again with all the resources I need. But at the end of the day God whispers to me His reassurance, He convinces me that His way is best and He fills me with enough courage to get through the next day… this is how it is all unfolding.

I want to give you a glimpse of some of the valuable lessons God has been teaching me in this stretching time.
1.) God is more concerned about our hearts than our wallets. He is more concerned about our prayers than our bills. Knowing this drives me to spend meaningful time with Him each day.
2.) I can’t do all this alone. I feel God telling me to get creative at problem solving and recruiting anyone who has a love for the people of Africa. I firmly believe that if someone’s heart is moved to do something, there is a place for them. So I’m all about taking on help in any shape or form. Contact me with any thoughts you have, and we’ll get creative together.

Grants for Orphan and Widow Care
Did you know??- The continent of Africa has more orphans than any other continent. Experts estimate that by the year 2010 there will be approximately 42million orphans, half of those due to AIDS. Find out more
We are researching and desperately looking for grants and matching funds from corporations, churches, foundations, individuals, millionaires and billionaires. Hah! We are struck by the immediate need for orphan and widow care in the churches we are serving.
We are turning up the heat on this one and really want to take some serious action during our May trip. Pray for this as so many lives may be impacted by the decisions made on this trip. And if you are a grant writer, let me know.

Church Matters
Because AfricaRevolution's focus is supporting local churches, I have been intentionally active in my local church… the Bible seems to be pretty clear about belonging to and serving in your local church. I am privileged to be a part of (probably) the best church in the world,
River City Community Church. Calm down… I’m sure yours is great too. I have been asked to be the Men’s leader/coach for the small group ministry in our church. This is a great responsibility and privilege. “With great power, comes great responsibility.” I think Spiderman and the Apostle Paul would agree on that (2 Timothy 1:7). So I take this on with great excitement and fear. I still have my own group which meets on Wednesday nights in Humboldt Park. And to those of you who do life and church with me, thanks for making this community like none I have ever known.

Advertisement (not really) My two loves; Annie and Apple...in that order of course.
Analisa My Bella Amor
So I think it is time to share with you the most stunning and awesome woman in the whole world. Annie is my girlfriend who makes me a “better man.” (Say that one with a Barry White voice.) She loves me, challenges me, laughs with me, and at me…, cries with me, prays with me, listens to my iPod with me and generally makes my life really beautiful. Annie works for Mission Year, a great Urban Ministry program placing young people in inner city communities where they live and work, learning to love their neighbors. Yeah, she’s pretty incredible. As my mate Dave said, over breakfast this morning, “a real keeper if you will.” Thanks to you guys out there who have been praying for us. Loving it!

Keep Checking In
During the month of May I hope to be posting while in South Africa. Please check in to see images and read stories from the field. If you’re interested in supporting this mission trip… you still can. This is going to be a barebones trip and every gift really helps. One week till I’m off, so please pray it up for us! Pray for wisdom, safety, real productivity and God’s intervention.

Last Words
"If you have come here to help me, you are wasting your time ... But if you have come because your liberation is bound up with mine, then let us work together."
- Lilla Watson, A Brisbane based Aboriginal educator and activist.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Allan,

I'm so so excited for you and your friends going on this trip today (or tomorrow?)I have no doubt it will be incredible and I can't wait to hear about it! I'm so happy you get to see your family and your home too!
And of course, I will be praying for you guys!

Laurel