October 24, 2008

Our lives are a vapor...

by allan



"Michael, I realized that we don't have a lot of time on this earth. We weren't meant to spend it this way. Human beings weren't meant to sit in little cubicles, starring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements."
Office Space (the movie)

God has been challenging me with thoughts about eternity, His Kingdom, Heaven and Hell. I am ashamed the urgency of it all is something that escapes me far too often. Contemplating the sheer terror of hell and contrasting the incredible love of God to be reconciled to his creation, I am compelled more and more to invest my life in that which truly matters. Far too often my life has been about selfish me, focused on that which is so temporal. My worries, dreams and energy spent on… well foolishness. Visiting the aged and sick in the community makes me realize how fragile and temporal this life really is. Our lives are a vapor, yet, what we do echoes throughout eternity.

“…What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes.”
-James 4:14

Last Words
“The longest time man has to live, has no more proportion to eternity than a drop of dew has to the ocean.”
–D.L. Moody

4 comments:

Dave Clark said...

Allan,
I feel like God has me in a similar place man, just realizing the urgency and significance of maximizing our days! Good stuff man. I want to mail you guys a book and a couple of cds. Have you guys gotten the mail that I have sent to the house? I sent a thank you card and my latest newsletter. Let me know. I will send you the package ASAP.

Love you man. Miss you guys.

Anonymous said...

Dave, Check out this Paul Washer sermon. It's a more succinct version of his others. It's called the"10 Indictments" (A Historical 21st Century Message) It's pretty hardcore. (Download for free from Sermon Index.Net)

Yes we got the newsletter. And YES we welcome any packages.

13 Faeriewood Est. Arial St.
Faerie Glen, X50
Pretoria, 0043,
South Africa

Love and miss you man.
allan.

Cristina McEwen said...

allan,

the pics are amazing! did you take these?
cristi

Anonymous said...

Allen, I love you and miss you so very much...I miss staying uo late talikng of the up-side down kingdom
Love your brother from a different mother Thomas